Thursday, February 9, 2012

put it in your toolbox: hobbies

One of the best ways for me to deal with my depression is not to dwell on it. (crazy, huh?) Distracting myself does wonders to help me stop thinking about myself :D

My cousin suggested one day making a list of things that make me happy. Though there are other things on this list as well, a number of them are hobbies of mine. When I'm doing something that I enjoy to do and that has a purpose, I feel like I'm working toward something, even if that something is to finish crocheting a scarf.

Here's just a few of my favorite hobbies, things that help me when I'm down:

1. Writing. I've been working on an epic fantasy series for a number of years now and am trying to find an agent. I also have a ton of other ideas and projects in the works, and in each of them I love the characters and the world I've created. Working on this huge project of five 100,000 word novels has shown me just how much I can do when I'm determined. (If you'd like to follow me on my writing adventures, check out my other blog, Victim of Writing)

2. Singing. This one is less 'productive' and more just pure joy. I love to sing, and it always, always makes me feel better. My voice is the one thing that I acknowledge is beautiful about me. I love putting emotion into song and telling stories through the lyrics and melodies. Also, since I am taking voice lessons, I can say that it's productive even when it's just for fun :)

3. Reading. How's this productive? I have a lot of friends in the writing world, and I have about a billion books on my to-read list on goodreads. Each book I read, I not only get to escape for a little while, but I get to cross another book off my list (and I LOVE crossing things off lists!). I also view my reading as a sort of 'volunteer job'--I've had a number of people send me their books over the past few months for me to read and review on my writing blog (see writing above) so I'm serving my fellow writers by doing it. Which brings me to...

4. Service. One day, this will be a post in and of itself. Yes, service is a hobby. I'm always looking for ways to serve other people, whether it be just doing the dishes before my roommates come home or writing a nice note to a friend that I know has a busy week. Sometimes it's as simple as a text message letting someone know you're thinking about them. When you focus on others, it really does make you feel better about yourself. Funny how that works, huh?

There are so many other things I love to do--draw, act, bake, play games--and so many things I'd love to learn how to do--knit, play sports, graphic design, arrange music. And this is just the tip of the iceberg of what you can do. Anything you love to do, anything that makes you happy, is a fantastic hobby for you!

Day by day, I'm realizing even more that life is beautiful :)

What hobbies do you have?


♥tg

No comments:

Post a Comment