Thursday, February 2, 2012

put it in your toolbox: exercise

Picture taken from this article
I've always, always hated exercise. I'm overweight, so it's hard for me to do physical activity. And, as some of you may have experienced, depression can make it hard to motivate yourself. Why would I want to go to the gym and get even more sore than I already am?

This morning, I just got back from the gym. Every Tuesday and Thursday I'm there at 6:30 AM. And I love it.

My family is shocked at my newfound dedication to the gym. It's not like me to do anything active, aside from dancing occasionally. Even when I go swimming, I usually hang out on one side of the pool and rarely actually swim around.

So what's changed? I went for a second time. And a third. I got past that original hump of getting off the couch and have turned this into a routine. I go at the same times every week, and I go with a friend. If I don't wake up, she doesn't bring me down, but she does say she's looking forward to the next time we go.

Also, my attitude towards it has changed. It's no longer because I have to lose 100 pounds, because I want to be thin. Now it's because I want to be healthy, I want to be able to go on hikes with my friends and run to class if I'm late. I want to ease the pain in my knees from my weight.

Yes, my knee sometimes acts up right after I've gotten home, but it's slowly getting better. And exercise makes me happy--there are these wonderful things called endorphins that your body naturally produces, and they give you a sort of 'natural high.' Exercising has helped my depression so much.

So how can you get yourself into the gym and stay there? Here are some things that have worked for me:

1. Find something you like. Try different machines and exercises. I for one love the elliptical. I have another friend that loves weight training. Another loves the bike. All of these are effective. Don't let someone tell you you should be doing something more strenuous. If you like it and it works for you, stick with it! If you like a couple different things, switch it up so you're not always doing the same thing.

2. Bring someone with you. Someone you trust. It's so much easier to go if you have a work-out buddy, even when you're not depressed. Everyone has trouble finding the time or motivation to work-out, so when you're supporting each other both of you have a higher chance at success.

3. Don't worry about the other people in the room. This is much easier said than done, but it's an important step. The other people in the gym aren't looking at you. If anything, they're impressed that you're there (especially if you go as early as I do). Everyone there is rooting for each other, and everyone there is trying to better themselves. It doesn't matter if you're a professional athlete or a professional couch potato, size 4 or 24. Mentally support the others who are there, because they're doing the same for you.

4. Start slow, and work your way up. If you haven't been exercising for a long time, don't try to run a marathon the first time you go to the gym. Take it easy. As you get more comfortable going to the gym, challenge yourself. If you start out too hard, you'll be discouraged. But if you start out easier, you'll be able to keep at it and do better each time you go.

Here's something very, very important to realize: exercise is not a cure. It helps--it helps a lot--but it doesn't replace therapy and medication (if you're taking medication). For me, 90% of exercise is mental, as shown in this study. You're doing something good for yourself, so you'll have hope of progressing. You can change your thinking to think that recovery is possible.

Exercise is not the only way, and it is not a complete solution. But it is a great tool.

Always remember that life is beautiful!

♥tg

No comments:

Post a Comment